Knitting Like A Sailor

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ugh! What a week I've had. Exhaustion and fatigue have been my constant companions. But that's okay. All work and no sleep makes Enjay a loopy girl :)

What have I done this week. Hmm...
Other than school, kids, and home stuff, I:

  • advised a new knitter on why her knitting looks "weird" (her words, she asked me why her knitting was weird and didn't look like everyone elses) turns out she's an eastern uncrossed knitter and was knitting in the round for the first time. She hadn't decided if she was going to keep the twisted knitting or if she was going to try to retrain herself for knitting in the round. I sent her to Annie M.'s great references on Eastern Uncrossed.
  • kinda halfway decided that I'm going to save up and collect skeins of a certain kinda expensive sock yarn to make a sweater out of it. in the peacock colorway cause I'm a peacocky kinda gal. I might just get two or three and call it a shawl though.
  • found a really interesting new to me blog with this wonderful Quote (from a June '05 post) "I love lace with a passion that only a short, middle-aged, Rubenesque woman who looks like an ambulatory lace pillow wearing it could feel." I completley, utterly understand where she is coming from. Thank you, Pamela, for saying it so succinctly.
  • I tried to tempt my spoilee into trying her hand at needle felting, and when I failed I had to send her the link to the really cool kit I'd wanted to get for her as a teaser. I am now thinking about (Insert luscious yarn here) yarn. Maybe.
  • Spent Martin Luter King Day sitting on my bum in my jammies reviewing the notes I had taken in Ethics on the movie we watched about the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Some good info there on that site. Heavy things to consider, the fact that the initial reason for the study, other than watching the effects of syphilis, was to prove that Black people were lesser to the white race, with smaller brain capacity etc. The man who originally pushed for the study stressed that that the men in the study lacked intelligence enough to figure out what was going on. They were uneducated and did accept the word of the official doctors without question, but they were well within normal parameters for intelligence. The cavalier attitudes of the researchers and the people involved in the program towards the health and well being of these gentlemen, their wives, and their children never fails to floor me.
  • still trying to decide between remaining in the Dental Hygiene program or switching to the Nursing program.

Other than that I haven't really been up to anything much. Gonna go kick back and watch a bit of the idiot box before heading off to bed.

Have a good night!