Knitting Like A Sailor

Friday, January 06, 2006

Not so Fug


Who wouldn't love a face like this?
<--My, what a tasty looking cracker you have!
That's my biggest baby, Shaela. We've not had her a year yet. She's about 3, possibly 4. She might be spayed, although we had a few hours of excitement with some stray male dogs last year where she kept her bottom firmly planted on the porch steps and showed them her pearly whites until I finally got them shooed out of the yard. (note to self- don't leave the gate unlocked all night, they were sleeping between the sheds)
Shae's the most expensive dog I've ever owned, considering we picked her up on the side of the road. We've already invested more than a thousand dollars in her health care, fixing the heartworms that the people who abandoned her seemed content to allow to kill her. I've raged about that both here and elsewhere, so I shan't get into that again, mainly because when I think about their irresponsability and what it nearly cost my dog, I find it very difficult to sit still because it still makes me that angry.
However, today we got the best news I've heard in a long time. Shae's bloodwork came back and she is now free of the chemicals the worms release into the animals system, they could detect no eggs in her blood, and there were no juvenile heartworms either. Meaning, if she has any heart worms left in her, and she' probably has one or two, they're not female, there are none looking for a place to latch on, and the neighborhood animals are safe from being infected because of my dog. The heartworm preventative she is on will kill any eggs produced and any juveniles introduced through mosquitoes, and the few remaining worms will die of old age shortly. YAY!! She feels so good now that she was doing the Shaela boogie when I got home, which consists of launching herself into the air, all four feet off the ground, then bouncing from side to side in front of you while folding herself in half to look at you so you know just how happy she is to see you. She's not so much with the clan of couch potato any more. Therefor, I have decided to set a goal for her. This year, Shae is going to lose the excess poundage she carries. She weighs in at 107.7 pounds, and the vet would be much more comfortable seeing her at a more svelte 95. It's healthier for her heart, which has had to overwork itself most of her life, and will strengthen it. I'm overweight too, but when it comes to exercising for my health, pass the bon-bons and where's the remote. However, my dog needs it, and she's going to get it. I know that there is at least one person who occassionally reads the blog who is active with her dogs, I'm hoping that there are others too who can give me advice on things to do with her to help get her moving and building those muscles. Any and all suggestions welcomed!