Knitting Like A Sailor

Friday, January 13, 2006

GAH!!

School started, and I'm almost finished for the week. I have a Saturday biology lab this semester, so I have classes six days a week. Ugh. Manageable, though it won't be the simplest feat.
The Bad.
Still stuck dealing with the young and clueless, some of whom guesstimated my age on monday as in my early fifties or late forties. I'm 34, people! They blamed it on the grey hair, I blamed it on their being young and thinking everyone is old, but I eradicated the grey hair monday night, just in case :) I do have to say that it is interesting watching the fresh out of high school freshmen struggling to digest the new to them dynamics of college. I try to keep in mind that up until now they haven't been extensively exposed to the real adult world (not that college is it but it's closer than high school) and haven't been expected to have real, adult opinions and discussion, but please, for the love of all things dear, please stop trying to relate Marxism to the high school track team. It isn't working and we're not all staring at you because of our awe at your oratory skills.

The Tolerable.
My general psyche prof seems somewhat biased against women. He's a very nice man, but he constantly makes the stereotypical comments like "guys, back me up on this, that's how women are, right?", talks about kow-towing to his wife to keep her from nagging and such. It's tolerable, he's a very intelligent man, and I *think* he's pushing the envelope for a reason, so we'll see how it pans out.

The Good.
My biology prof is a cute geeky guy who looks like he could star in the next Revenge of the Nerds movie, but he's much better dressed and his glasses are in perfect working order. He knows his stuff too. Since he's an adjunct, I wonder what his real career is.
My ethics prof is a wonderful woman, not at all afraid to say that she doesn't know, and very willing to discuss alternative beliefs and viewpoints. We're dealing with some very heavy issues in class right now and it's making me think about things I've never chosen to consider before.
Lastly, I soo want to be my Sociology professor when I grow up. She's a very well educated, highly opinionated, outspoken and assertive woman. Her class will be challenging, it will be interesting, it will make me think and re-evaluate assumptions I've always made, and I will do my best to absorb as much as I can.

My brain has been stretched and pulled in directions I never even knew it could go, which makes biology that much more dear to me this semester. It's solid, it isn't open to interpretation, and so far it hasn't made me question my views.

The Best
My Secret Pal contacted me today! S/he sent me a very cute e-card reminding me not to study too hard. I replied to their card, I hope they liked it! (Secret Pal, I hope the music was okay, I couldn't hear it on my PC, but I think I picked music box dancer) (my pc normally plays all music fine, and I heard the lovely tune on the card you sent me, it just wouldn't play the samples I got to choose from) I look forward to hearing from them again!

I've also contacted my spoilee, and we've been having a lot of fun emailing back and forth.
Oh, and on the way home today, I saw a triple rainbow! :)

Talk to ya'll later!