Knitting Like A Sailor

Sunday, April 03, 2005

I think it's back now

I see it's been nearly three months or so since I've updated. Man, Im almost feeling guilty here. Hopefully you'll understand (other than the problems I've had with Blogger) why it's been so long.

Health
We had viruii that we passed from one to another for about two months. Finally got shed of that just in time for allergies. yay.
Three weeks ago I turned my weak ankle and pulled a couple of muscles so it's been difficult for me to get down to the computer, and uncomfortable to stay on it for any length because I can't keep my foot up.

School
Went and signed myself up for college again. I'm going to a local tech school. Waded through and have most of my financial aid done, one loan left to apply for to use for supplies and a new computer, I'm thinking laptop. the amount of time I spend on the road waiting for the kids, Loverboy, or whoever would be better spent studying than my usual reading/knitting/staring off into space. which segues into

Computer
The computer I have now isn't a bad puter, and it's fairly new (in my opinion anything that costs as much as a computer stays new until it's dead LOL) but updating the hardware for it is starting to be tricky and it's about maxed out on the memory front. Plus, the a drive, while still installed and functioning enough to register and allow the computer to run, thoughtfully grinds to powder any disk inserted into it before it tries to read it or write to it. I consider it the ultimate in security. I tried to salvage the a drive and the burner from Loverboy's defunct puter but it won't recognize the a drive (damned proprietary programming, and no it's not worth the money to me to buy one from the manufacturer that it will recognize considering they want ten times what it's worth) and the burner requires software that he no longer has and can't be tracked down online.
Unfortunately mine is the only operational computer in the house, and Loverboy is also going back to school. In my mind's eye I have this vision of us working as a team, scheduling our time on the computer, respecting each others needs, all that sweet stuff that I know will never happen. Most likely it will be more like tapping toes and watched clocks, rushing over to jump on the computer when the other turns around to reach for a drink, and other vulture like behavior.
I'm also going to be stockpiling and stashing paper, printer cartridges, and other office supplies. Loverboy has no restraint when it comes to printed materials and the means to make them.

Knitting
Finished the Snowdrop shawl, and gave it to the recipiant. I'll see if I can get a picture of it sometime.
I really liked the making of it, although purling alternate rows was very tedious. Really tedious. Force-myself-to-work-on-it-because-of-the-boring-purl-rows type tedious. I knew not all lace has the plain return rows, so I dug up my copy of Hazel Carters lace book and paged through it. Things that looked incredibly complicated and very difficult suddenly looked quite doable. Hmmmm. I have a friend who is pregnant with her last baby, due in October, wouldn't a cute little shawl be sweet? I spun some samples in cormo and delaine merino, decided I liked the merino, only once it was spun i don't have enough of it to do an entire shawl. While digging through the rest of my stash to see what I might have that's soft and fine, I ran across a ball of handspun that a friend in OZ sent me. I believe it's perendale, it's spun very fine and she won first place with it at a fair. It looks and feels quite like shetland lace yarn. A while back I dyed it with blue, pink and green, and it came out a lovely periwinkle with slight green-purple variegation. Lianna loves blue, so I did a really quick swatch, ripped it (i only have so much yarn and I know that it won't be enough to do the medallion, the border and the edging) and started in on it. I'm using a variation of shetland twins for the medallion, an unnamed border that I got out of the lace sampler book (number 90 for those who have it), and planning on an edging from the hazel carter book. I'm about halfway through the border now, but I think I'm going to rip it all out. It's just not coming together like I'd hoped. It's really difficult to see the pattern in the border, even when I block it out. I think it needs a tighter gauge to pop. I'm also not pleased with the corners. I'm using a yo k1 yo increase in each corner except one, that one has a yo k2 yo so I can wrap one of the k sts and reverse direction, something I based on a tip I read about here . It looks fine, but I think I'd prefer to k2 in each corner, to make it look more alike. Last, but not least, Loverboy pointed out to me that the toddlers don't care for the feel of it when they sit in my lap while I'm knitting on it, and that he thinks it might not be the best choice for a newborn if i want it to be a shawl that gets use instead of being stored.
I was kind of hoping that this would be something Lianna and the baby would use for nursing, and maybe something that the baby would wear (or the baby's spouse would wear) on their wedding day. So, I'm thinking. Right now I'm spinning some superwash into a sport weight yarn to make a layette for the baby, once that's done I'll probably dig out the cormo and start anew on the shawl.
UPDATE
I took a break from typing the post to look at the shawl again, then put it aside and fixed supper. The littlest wee one heard me talking to Loverboy about ripping the shawl and went ahead and started on the deed for me while i was cooking supper. *sigh* So now it's wound back in a ball and waiting.
Okay, off to pop the babies in bed and contemplate what to do about the shawl and how to do it.