Knitting Like A Sailor

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Got this much back

At least you get to see the crapscan, but the color is way off. irl it's a heathered blend of blue green red with a few white flecks, on the scanner it's pewter grey apparently.


The fiber is silk and merino spun on my schacht dt, the pattern is the snowdrop shawl via the yarn harlot. It's my first more or less successful lace project. I've tried lace before and wound up ravelling it and re-stashing the yarn because i was making waaaay too many mistakes, and couldn't for the life of me figure out where they were or what the problem was. this is a down and dirty pattern, politely straight forward without a lot of handholding. I like handholding. Well, for the first few dates at least. That's why I'm so surprised that I'm actually able to knit this one. I've ripped it to hell and back, by my row count of rippage I should have a shawl and a half sitting here. I think what's prevented me from tossing it back into the stash is the fact that i was able to read the problem with what i had done. Ripping back isn't the happiest thing i do with my knitting, but ripping back because you KNOW there's a problem but you can't figure out what it is, or even see the problem, even after placing it in a bag and marinating for a week, is particularly frustrating.

Some Things I've Discovered About My Knitting


  • i was taught to wrap yo's the wrong way. previously my yo's were not much bigger than the stitches around them.
  • if you wrap yo's properly, it's MUCH easier to see them.
  • Yo's are slippery little buggers, and when the shawl is all soft and limp quite often they masquerade as a dropped or missed stitch.
  • I've learned that while I *can* drop down and fix a problem with the lace, it's not a good idea for me yet, especially when it may be as far as four rows down.
  • i really need to unpick the stitches, whipping the needle out and ravelling means i'm going to be ravelling to the cast on stitch because with all the increases, decreases and other fancy yarn tricks, putting the stitches back on the needles is far more frustrating than re-knitting six inches of lace.
  • I'm thinking about changing the i-cord edging she has around the long edge of the shawl. Stephanie (I hope she doesn't mind if I call her Stephanie, she and my son have a one-sided thing going, ever since she emailed him earlier this week he turns bright red when I mention her name or he sees her blog on my puter) Ahem anyway, she recommends using a needle a size larger for the i-cord, to make sure it fits the edge. Kim Salazar talks about her experiments with i-cord on her daughters poncho and mentioned making a few rounds between live stitch pick-ups. I think Kim's method would be rounder, and i like the idea of a rounder i-cord. my yarn is a heavy lace weight that i tried to spin elastically, but other than the soft matte wool texture the silk seems to be wearing the pants and i'm pretty sure it will stretch and grow. stretched out i-cord doesn't appeal. we'll see, i may decide to crochet one of the lace edgings in some elderly books I have, the ones for lingerie are small and dainty, and don't look neck irritating. Eh, we'll see.
    As usual, opinions welcome.