Knitting Like A Sailor

Friday, June 18, 2004

Dull and rambling

That pretty much sums me up the past few days. Heat, lack of sleep, and the weather systems moving over us have bowled me over with migraines and general malaise. It's not an excuse, but it's the reason I'm behind in sending out personal thank house to those who have responded to my appeal for critiques on my design.

So far everyone has been really supportive. Thank You. I will do my best to get caught up with the personal responses this weekend. I do have to go back and re-write a few, I wound up sending the emails to the service that was announcing the comments on my blog, rather than the commenters *sigh* (Ingrid, this means you lol) I did switch the comments to haloscan because I didn't like the way blogspot handled them, but I do still have the old ones. I had to hide them when I turned off the blogspot comments or risk blowing up the internet and everything attached to it by having conflicting java crap.

I still have a lot of questions, such as how far is it okay to strand, or should I put a small motif in the empty half diamonds at the edges of the rows to break up the floats? I'm seeing something fleur-de-lis ish to go along with the somewhat crest like motif, but I do like them empty, I feel it gives the eye a rest.

side note here, Mar's June 15th post on her blog covers her take on what makes a good fair isle design, and Joe has designed several wonderful color work sweaters if you're looking for tips on designing one.

how do I figure out where the chart should start and end so I don't have to chart out the whole freaking thing?

how can I get it from my hand drawn chart to a more easily read chart? I do have excel and I know that many people use it all the time for charting but I've had a difficult time figuring it out on my own and I can't find the directions I had for it. I mean, I can take the graph and make it so it's taller than it is wide and use x's to fill in the blanks, but I find the x's difficult to read and I haven't been able to nail the proper box size so the motifs don't squash themselves when knit. The graph paper I used is supposed to be for knitters, but it came out so tiny when I printed it I can't tell.

I know that there are differences between the Dale type sweaters and the Scottish Isle type sweaters, are they both called fair isle or is that more specific to the Scottish type sweaters and I should call this stranded colorwork or some other term I'm not familiar with?

I actually didn't have any pre-conceived ideas of what the design was going to be like, I told my brain design me a fair isle and this is what came out. It took about four hours to get it to the point where it is now, and I think subconsciously I did something more appropriate for two colors because choosing a colorway is still intimidating. In my mind I have been seeing this knitted with two strands of zephyr in this color for the background and this color for the patterning. I have seen reference for zephyr used in fair isles and it's really pretty from what I've seen but I don't know if it was more of a novel, I'm going to do it just because I can type thing or if it's actually an acceptable yarn for such a project. At my current skill level I wouldn't attempt it in anything besides a nice grabby wool but in the future I'd like to try it in zephyr, it intrigues me.

There is a new online magazine that is gearing up right now. I don't know when it's going to be published, but it's called Chiagu and it's being put out by Ivete and Liz. I was hoping to submit it to them when I'm able to get it going as an actual pattern and see if they feel it's worthy of publishing. I may still do that when I'm more certain the design is the way I want it to be. I'll be certainly scoping out test knitters then. Unfortunately I have several issues I need to work out right now both in knitting and personally before I can move forward with it, so it has stepped down a bit on the priorities. Just a bit though, I'm still going to be picking at it, and if nothing else I'll probably have a pillow with a big ass two colored stranded design on it by next spring.