Knitting Like A Sailor

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Alrighty Then

Non-knitting Blather
Sorry to have left y'all hanging for a while there. I know you were all just on the edge of your seats waiting to hear from me again, but life intervened as usual. We went to Charleston, had an uneventful time, it was a really nice trip. Loverboy wasn't able to catch up with his buddy, but we did get to meet his sister's new squeeze, and we both liked him a lot.

Knitting Blather
While in Charleston (and I'm fibbing we were actually in one of the suburbs of Charleston but who cares?) I got to visit a better yarn store than i have locally. of course i whipped out the plastic and wore a layer off it. Purchased were:
-1 ball Katia Mississippi 3 in a sort of a spring/neon green, it's really bright and i'm thinking socks for the daughter
-1 ball cleckheaton 8 ply in a silver and white marle, for swatching
-1 ball of regia stretch in the ocean colorway, socks for one of the kids
-2 balls of smart superwash, in gold and royal blue, to swatch a fi design i charted
-1 dale of norway lace and fi tunic pattern (3010 rose is the specific pattern)
-1 knitting pure and simple neck down pullover tunic 9726, it's a basic v-neck long sleeved tunic
-1 reynolds lite lopi pattern 850, it's a twofer, with a pattern for a cardigan/and/or/vest and a pullover, both in fi, nice and conservative looking for the loverboy
-1 copy of I hate to finish sweaters by janet szabo, I did not have a copy when I wrote my essay the other week, although it certainly was on my list. guess it must have been fate.
I also picked up the knitters issue with the lily of the valley lacey thing in it, but i got that at books a million.

Since then i've also received a box of cascade 220 that was on back order from the big webs sale, and I've cast on with it for the same damn sweater more times than i can count. I even got an inch or three into the body once before I had to rip it out. The first two times it was because I have all these lovely colors and I realized i was limiting myself to the more safe less eye-catching colors so I ripped and forced myself out on a more colorful limb. the rest of the times were merely the result of trying to cast on while the toddlers were awake. around the fourth time i cast on i was in the middle of it when all of a sudden the circ zipped cleanly out of the stitches i'd already cast on, out of my hands, and chased my 2 year old across the floor. got her put back down for the rest of her nap, tossed myself back into the chair grumbling something about fava beans and a good chianti, re-started the re-starting process, got about a quarter of the way through when suddenly the yarn is quite wet. WTF? leaned over the arm of my chair and oh, there's the 1 year old teething on a good handful of it, and I heard the 2 yo giggling behind my chair. okay, guess naptime is over today. *sigh* I did finally get it cast on without twisting it, miscounting or loosing count, and have knit three rows of the corrugated ribbing. It's sitting right now because the window ac decided to announce to us that it has no drainage hole. all over the carpet. the carpet the landlord installed just before we moved in here. unfortunately we think the ac had been trying to send us this message for a few days, but the dresser cabinet thingy we had in front of it was holding back the tide while apparently taking up the hobby of mildew rancher. it pressured the wall into the mildew habit too. fortunately the brand new carpeting decided it was too good for mildew, i just hope it doesn't decide mildew ranching is beneath it. So, i've been fighting the war on fungi recently. so far, i've reclaimed the dresser cabinet thingy, the wall has been clean for a few days now but it's still requiring close supervision, and the carpet, well it looks okay but it's young and better capable of keeping up a facade, only time will tell. We did get a different ac unit installed today, one i have had for years, so i know it's properly set up and it drains as fast as wallets at a yarn sale. all there is left to do is finish drying out the carpet (i live in the deep south, the humidity is 71% at 2:30 am, this has the potential to be a life time goal here guys) and figure out how to break the news to the landlord.